Skip to Content

Top 6 Best Houseplant Books

Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links.

There are so many houseplant books out there and not all of them are created equal!  Over the years, I’ve browsed through a lot of them, and I’ve chosen 6 of my favorites to share with you.

Among the topics covered in these books are:

• General houseplant care, including a variety of specific plants
  • Plant propagation
  • Troubleshooting your houseplant problems

Here are some of the very best books out there on houseplant care.

1. The House Plant Expert

This book is an older one, but is an absolute classic in the houseplant literature!

The House Plant Expert
$68.50

Classic houseplant problem solving book. Well worth it for any collection!

We earn a commission if you click this link and make a purchase at no additional cost to you.
07/30/2021 05:08 pm GMT

The House Plant Expert by Dr. D.G. Hessayon is a classic.  In addition to documenting a wide variety of houseplants, both common and uncommon, it really teaches you how to troubleshoot issues with your plants.

There are plentiful photos and color diagrams in the book for illustration.

One thing I love about this book is that it documents common problems with many varieties of houseplants.  It shows you what to look for when you have an issue with your plant, and gives suggestions on how to fix the problem.

The House Plant Expert is tops when it comes to troubleshooting houseplant problems, but it also catalogs a wide variety of houseplants and is a great book if you are looking to expand your collection!

2. The American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation

The American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation book is a gold standard on how to propagate a gigantic variety of plants!  Whether it is houseplants, or others such as outdoor annuals, perennials, shrubs, and trees.

Plant Propagation
$42.94

Amazing, very comprehensive book on propagating a huge variety of plants. Invaluable resource!

07/30/2021 04:58 pm GMT

If you are wondering how to propagate ANYTHING, this book is for you!  It has fantastic illustration and step-by-step instructions on a vast array of propagation techniques and plants.

It goes into detail on various propagation techniques, supplies needed for various types of propagation, and even common problems and troubleshooting propagation issues.

Whether you are wondering how to sow seeds, take cuttings, air layer, divide plants, or even graft plants, this book is a wealth of information.

Any propagation technique imaginable can be found in this excellent reference guide.  In addition to broader chapters on propagation techniques, there are detailed sections on individual plants as well.

If you want a plant propagation bible, look no further than The American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation book!

3. Success With Succulents

Succulents are all the rage these days.  The huge variety of succulents, along with their ease of culture and propagation, make them a joy to grow and share with friends!

However, there are a lot of myths and misleading information online about succulent care.

Look to Success With Succulents to give you solid information on how to grow succulents.

Success with Succulents
$24.99

I absolutely love this book. Great information on a variety of succulents, as well as various propagation methods and general care.

07/30/2021 04:38 pm GMT

One interesting portion of this book is that it explains what cacti are and what succulents are.  It also features 100 different cacti and succulents that you can grow in your home, both indoors and outdoors.

I particularly jived with this book, because as I preach on my blog and my Instagram (@ohiotropics), the authors share my views on watering succulents.

This is a huge topic of confusion among many people, and the book is worth the price just for the insight that it gives on how to properly water succulents.

Success With Succulents also goes into detail the various pest problems that you may encounter, as well as various propagation techniques.   Look no further for a wonderful succulent care guide!

4. House Plants:  The Complete Guide to Choosing, Growing, and Caring for Indoor Plants

There are so many houseplant books out there.  Many of them seem antiquated and offer too much generic information to be practical.  F

or a modern and practical guide on houseplants, take a look at House Plants: The Complete Guide to Choosing, Growing, and Caring for Indoor Plants by Lisa Eldred Steinkopf.

Houseplants: The Complete Guide
$23.99

Wonderful, comprehensive book on a whole host of houseplants, as well as all the main topics of care and propagation.

07/30/2021 04:23 pm GMT

I love this book for a variety of reasons.  It provides very solid information on a variety of basic topics for the houseplant grower:  watering, fertilizing, grooming of plants, propagation, troubleshooting, as well as highlights many varieties of houseplants that you can grow.

House Plants:  The Complete Guide to Choosing, Growing, and Caring for Indoor Plants divides the houseplant varieties into easy to grow, moderately easy to grow, and challenging to grow.

This makes it very convenient, especially for the beginner houseplant grower.

5. Air Plants:  The Curious World of Tillandsias

Air plants (Tillandsia genus) are a huge rage these days.  They are curious oddities in the plant world, and as a result of the unique way that they grow, can be very versatile and allow for many ways to creatively display these plants indoors.

Air Plants: The Curious World of Tillandsias is a fantastic book that provides a wealth of information on both air plant care, as well as creative ways to display your air plants.

Air Plants: The Curious World of Tillandsias
$16.25

This books really explains, in an accessible way, how to truly take care of Tillandsias. Everything from care to creative ways of displaying is discussed.

07/30/2021 04:08 pm GMT

I absolutely love this book and it is really a wonderfully complete guide on growing air plants.  It goes into detail on the natural habitat of Tillandsias, as well as into depth on various watering techniques, light, fertilizing, temperature, and propagating.

An especially delightful section of the book includes a section on how to design and decorate with Tillandsias.  Since these plants don’t grow in soil, you can have a lot of artistic license in how you can display them!

Don’t miss Air Plants:  The Curious World of Tillandsias if you are an air plant fanatic.

6. Moth Orchid Mastery:  The Novice’s Guide to Mastering Moth Orchid Culture in Less Than 1 Hour

And last but not least is my own book that I wrote on Phalaenopsis, or moth orchids.  This is available as an eBook on Amazon presently and am working on a paperback version soon.

Don’t take my word for it though.  Check out the reviews online of Moth Orchid Mastery:  The Novice’s Guide to Mastering Moth Orchid Culture in Less Than 1 Hour.

Moth Orchid Mastery
$6.99

The Novice's Guide To Mastering Moth Orchid Culture In Less Than 1 Hour. Super succinct and available in eBook, paperback and audiobook!

07/30/2021 03:48 pm GMT

I’ve been growing Phalaenopsis orchids for many years.  Throughout those years, I’ve accumulated a lot of practical knowledge on every aspect of care for these beautiful plants.

Moth orchids, or Phalaenopsis, have a repuation of being “throw away” plants after they are done blooming.  But this is such a shame because once you know some very easy, basic things, they are a joy to grow!

In fact, they are some of my easiest houseplants that I have in my large collection.  Check it out today!  If you are looking for how to get an orchid to rebloom, look no further than Moth Orchid Mastery:  The Novice’s Guide to Mastering Moth Orchid Culture in Less Than 1 Hour.

Ok, so I know this is a top 6 post, but I have another one for you.

Essential Houseplant Mastery:  The Novice’s Guide to Growing and Propagating the 12 Easiest Houseplants

This book is a goldmine for the beginner houseplant grower!  I’ve received an enthusiastic response from many people so be sure to check it out.  You will NOT regret it!

In Essential Houseplant Mastery, I speak from personal experiences in growing all the plants.  I also include very valuable information that many houseplant books just don’t include or explain properly.

Essential Houseplant Mastery
$4.14

The Novice’s Guide to Growing & Propagating the 12 Easiest Houseplants. Available in eBook and paperback.

07/30/2021 03:53 pm GMT

In this book, I break down everything to its most basic level and explain everything in simple terms that everyone can understand. I share my experiences, care and propagation tips for the following plants:

• Pothos
  • Chinese Money Plant (Pilea peperomioides)
  • Monstera deliciosa
  • ZZ Plant
  • Snake Plant (Sansevieria)
  • Parlor Palm
  • Cast Iron Plant
  • Peace Lily
  • Christmas Cactus
  • Lucky Bamboo
  • Air Plants (Tillandsia)
  • African Violet

Don’t take my word for it though, check out the enthusiastic reviews from my readers of Essential Houseplant Mastery!

Are there anymore houseplant books that you enjoy?  Comment below!

Please do me a favor and share this post to social media because it will help me spread the Ohio Tropics houseplant care tips to the masses! Also, check out my shop on Amazon for all your houseplant care needs:

OHIO TROPICS PLANT CARE STOREFRONT

how to water potted plants
Overwatering Houseplants: It's Not What You Think!
Monstera deliciosa albo variegata
Interview with Steve's Leaves!