Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links.
While there are a lot of different fertilizers that you can use for your Monstera deliciosa, I’m going to discuss my favorite fertilizer that I’ve experienced stellar results with. Fertilization should be part of any plant care routine, so keep reading to learn my top pick for best fertilizer for Monstera deliciosa.
BEST FERTILIZER FOR MONSTERA DELICIOSA
If you haven’t been fertilizing your Monstera deliciosa, what are you waiting for? Indoors we have to play Mother Nature, and while some potting mixes may have some nutrients, they will eventually be depleted and we will need to start a regiment of regular fertilization.
In my experience, the best fertilizer for Monstera deliciosa is Dyna-Gro Grow (link to Amazon), and I will tell you why soon, but first take a look at the transformation of my plant below.
I purchased the Monstera deliciosa below in late December of 2017.
In just 2 1/2 years, with good growing conditions and using Dyna-Gro Grow, this is what my plant turned into.
The proof speaks for itself, but let me tell you more about why I love Dyna-Gro Grow:
- It contains ALL 16 macro and micro nutrients that plants need for optimal growth, making it a complete fertilizer. No more worries about nutrient deficiencies!
- You can use this fertilizer for all your plants and don’t have to worry about choosing and using several different fertilizers. Keep it simple!
- It is urea-free so it won’t burn your plants.
- It is very versatile and you can dilute it to your liking per the guidelines on the label to suit your frequency of application.
- The 7-9-5 formulation (7% Nitrogen, 9% Phosphorus, 5% Potassium) promotes healthy leaf and stem growth. Dyna-Gro also states that the high nitrate to ammoniacal nitrogen ratio helps to promote shorter internodal spacing, resulting in stronger stems.
- You can also use it for foliar feeding and even hydroponic growing. All instructions are on the label. So if you are into semi-hydro methods of growing, you can use Dyna-Gro Grow for this well.
1. HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU FERTILIZE YOUR MONSTERA?
It depends, but here are some options. You can pick whatever suits your routine:
- For plants inside the home, I personally prefer to fertilize at every watering. That way I don’t have to remember when I last fertilized. You can add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Dyna-Gro Grow per gallon of water and use this at every watering. With this dilution, you can also use this for foliar feeding and spray directly on your plant and aerial roots.
- If you prefer to just fertilize once per month, simply mix 2-3 teaspoons of Dyna-Gro Grow per gallon of water and use monthly.
2. SHOULD YOU FERTILIZE MONSTERA DELICIOSA ALL YEAR?
It depends, but here are some useful guidelines to consider:
- To put it quite simply, if your plant is putting out new growth, go ahead and fertilize. Even if it’s winter time.
- If your plant is taking a break and not growing at all during the shorter, sunless days that many of us experience in the winter time, then hold off on fertilizing until new growth starts.
- If you have your plant growing under grow lights year round, your Monstera will not even know that it’s winter time and you can fertilize year-round.
3. HOW TO FERTILIZE MONSTERA DELICIOSA
Dyna-Gro Grow is a liquid concentrate that is meant to be diluted in water. It’s always important to measure out both the fertilizer as well as the water so that you have the proper dilution.
Make sure that you don’t use cold water. Room temperature or tepid water is best so you’re not shocking your plant with cold water.
I love using a dedicated set of measure spoons for my fertilizer so I’m not cross contaminating any spoons that I’m using in my kitchen.
4. DON’T FORGET ABOUT YOUR GROWING CONDITIONS
Fertilization should not be used as a bandaid or a fix for a plant that isn’t looking its best as a result of sub-par growing conditions.
If your plant is not growing, it’s likely that it’s not getting enough light. Move your plant to a brighter spot, and then start fertilizing.
Check out the resources below for more information on optimal growing conditions for your plant.
5. MONSTERA DELICIOSA RESOURCES
I’ve written quite a bit about Monstera deliciosa, so here are just some of the many other blog posts that you may find helpful:
- Monstera Deliciosa Care & Repotting
- Monstera Problems & Solutions
- 9 Reasons Why Your Monstera Is Not Growing
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post on the best fertilizer for Monstera deliciosa. And if you haven’t tried Dyna-Gro Grow, give it a shot. With regular use, you will be a dramatic difference in your plants!